Wednesday, September 30, 2021, Mt. Airy, Philadelphia: I had the privilege to sit down and chat with drum legend, Mr. Jimmy Wormworth! Jimmy is best known for playing drums with the groundbreaking vocal jazz ensemble, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, plus his work with Al Haig, Lou Donaldson and for being house drummer at the Five Spot in 1959.
This edition of Backstage at The Enharmonic is very special, it’s the first interview that I’ve conducted live and in person, and would like to thank bassist Mike Merritt for suggesting that I interview Jimmy, and a big thank you to James Wormworth, Jimmy's son, for helping to coordinate this session.
The range of topics that we discuss are as varied as Jimmy’s career:
- Lambert Hendricks and Ross
- blatant inequities in network television in the late 50s and early 60s.
- early influences and what inspired him to become a musician.
- the calling card of every jazz drummer, their ride cymbal sound.
- his opinions and thoughts about new music.
- words of wisdom for young and aspiring drummers of all ages
Our interview begins in the late 50s with Jimmy's recollections of meeting Kenny Clark...