In 2020 I decided to go back to the roots of my musical training and do a deep dive into my favorite book of snare drum etudes, Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony J. Cirone.
I am releasing one video per week, for 50 weeks, thus performing the entire book by the end of 2021.
- These performances are first and foremost a personal challenge, to keep my playing and reading chops sharp, and to give myself weekly playing goals for the entire year.
- Secondly, 2021 will mark a milestone for me, I'll be turning 50 this year, so this is also a musical celebration for me, marking five decades of music-making.
Finally, I hope they provide inspiration to YOU the viewer: --If you're a musician, what challenge(s) can you give yourself on your instrument this year to continue growing?
- If you're a music fan, hopefully, these energetic solos will put you in a good mood and in the right state of mind to meet your own personal challenges.
If you're a student or professional percussionist, please use these as a starting point to create your own interpretation of these masterworks.
- Maybe you love my interpretations, if so, steal everything and transfer it to your own performances.
- Or perhaps, you'd stick something differently? Interpret a dynamic differently? Use a different snare, sticks, heads, etc...it's all good!
- It's all about personal interpretation!
- Simply use these to help you craft YOUR own meaningful performances.
Due to the pandemic, the gigs may be on hold temporarily, but the music is NOT!
Thanks, and stay inspired everyone.
Sean J. Kennedy